Monday, October 5, 2015

Week 7 - October 5, 2015


Why, hello there, everyone!
I hope you all are doing well :-))
It was a wonderful week in South Philly!  A wholllleeeee lot better
than last week haha!



It was a super busy week.  Thursday we had Zone Conference, the first
one I was able to attend.  It was FIRE (meaning really good). The good parts I will note here:

1. The training elders discussed how certain people have been put in
our path for a purpose.  We, as Latter Day Saints, may offer love,
compassion, an extended hand, and of course the gospel.  There are
people that are literally right in front of us that need something from
us, we just have to have that courage to help and offer assistance.  It
reminded me of that movie of the guy (I think it was Matt Damon), who
tried starting a zoo or something but he said, "You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it."  :)) Anyways, I thought that was interesting.

2. Crab mentality - a crab in a bucket may get out easily on its own;
however, when you place two crabs In a bucket, as one tries to climb
out, the other will pull him down trying to get leverage and pull
themselves out -> Do not let anyone discourage you no matter what they
say.  Don't let anyone tell you that you cannot do anything, because it
is all a mindset!
3. Flea analogy - the average flea can jump several feet wide and
several feet high.  Due to their small size, a few feet is a tremendous
amount.  If you were to catch fleas and put them inside a container
overnight, they would all jump out... However, if you put a lid on top
of them all night they would at first jump and try to get out but
consistently hit the top and bonk their heads.  They aren't stupid
creatures, so they would figure out just how high they can jump before
smacking their heads and would jump that high forever... Then you are
actually able to open the container and these fleas will have that
MINDSET that they can only jump so high even though they have the
capability of jumping out with ease ->  Never put a limit on what you
think you can do.  You can do anything you want with the right mindset
(why wouldn't anyone tell me this when I was in high school?) (jk, Dad
did!)
4. Departing missionaries remarks that I found interesting
              - why do we do what we do? Because we know what we know
              - we are cut down so we may grow (ther 2)
              - if you are waiting for it to get easier ... It doesn't
- faith makes things possible, not easy
              - THE SAVIOR NEVER SAID IT WOULD BE EASY, HE SAID IT
WOULD BE WORTH IT
              - there is no comfort in the growth zone and no growth in the comfort zone

Good stuff, huh!
We had general conference this week, it was great.  Here are my take aways:

1. In times of trials, we find joy in our commitment and service to the Lord
2. Exercise self control
3. Straighten up and fly right.. Don't fly into a thunderstorm
4. If I make this choice, what is the worst possible thing that could happen?
5. If you want counsel, you better be prepared to take it
6. One of my favorite talks by Holland --- after Jesus's love, the
most important is the mother's love
Smiling face with heart-shaped eyesHeavy black heart

7. DO WHAT MAKES YOUR MOTHER HAPPY
8. Mothers don't bear us....THEY CONTINUE TO BEAR WITH US... Wow!
9. Trials give us strength as we learn to overcome them
10. Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith
11. God doesn't answer our questions if we are curious... He answers
them when we have a sincere heart and real intent
12. The Savior can help us through anything and everything because he
once went through everything and everything
13. Do your part - the Lord will take care of the rest
14 Thomas S. Monson priesthood talk was the most fire thing I've ever heard
15. Be an example in word and conversation, have charity, be an
example in spirit, be pure

Lastly............ Family is the center of life and the key to
happiness
FireFireFireHeavy black heartHeavy black heartHeavy black heart

I love my family!  Everyone should go read the conference talk entitled,
"Hope" by Steven E. Snow.

Have a great week everyone!

P.s. A bird crapped on my face this week.  It sucked.

 
(We, also, included portions of Elder Wilde's e-mail that he sent to his mother.)
 
Hey, mama bear!

Yesterday we were in companionship
study and there was a huge like gang fight or something right in front
of our house, so we watched it from the window... Then this morning
there were a bunch of cops a few doors down, so I'm curious to what
happened there haha.  It's so much fun... Scary but fun.
Today was
actually the most scared I've ever been besides the first week when
the guy had a gun on him and he was drunk... Like two hours ago we
were on the train and this lady and her kid were sitting right
next to us and this other lady right next to us as well. The kid
starts yelling, "Mom, take out your gun," and the mom has a backpack on her knees and she is like, "Shhh, we don't
have a gun," and so the lady moved out of the way and went to the
end of the train, but Elder Andrus and I stood up and kind of stood
REALLY close to the lady and we both just whispered to each other and
were basically like, "If she makes any move at all, we are getting on
her," and so then the kid said it again and she opened the bag and we
both like got RIGHT UP TO HER like inches away and she pulled out a
book, and we were both like... "Oh man!"  I was sweating so much it was
nerve wracking. 


Anyways, we caught a mouse in our house the other day.
I took pics.  It's kind of funny.

Conference this weekend was amazing.
Didn't you just love the mothers' talk by Elder Holland?  I was tearing up as
he was giving that because I was like, "Man, my mother is perfect!" (Can you just get feeling better, Mama?!)


We watched the first Saturday session at a member's house, the Gabrielsons. 
We went over to their house for dinner a few weeks ago, but he was
home alone.  His wife is in SF and so he had us over, gave us pizza and
what not.  Way fun chill guy. Then the next Saturday session, we went
over to an investigator's house and watched it there.  Then for the Priesthood Session we went to the church.  Then for the Sunday sessions,
we just watched it at the church.  We are getting fed REALLY well...
Sisi had us over for dinner on Saturday. 


Anyways, so before President Monson spoke in priesthood
(last speaker), I just really hadn't found anything that could directly
speak to a friend who've I've been trying to help, so I was kind of just sitting there and I decided to
pray, and I was like, "Please give me something that I can use to help
this friend in times of her need"-- something along those lines... And President Monson steps up and the first thing he says is, "Keep the commandments,"
then he gives an amazing talk where he literally said, "There are people you
may know that will say, 'Well, everyone is doing it, it's okay, it's
normal,' and when I heard that, I just started laughing.  I was like...
Are you kidding me!?  (That's exactly what the friend had said.)   And then he said that there are people that you
will meet in your life that you need to help... I just couldn't stop
laughing/tearing up... It was incredible, so once that talk is out I'm
going to forward bits and pieces of it to my friend... Anyways, it's
definitely a struggle...


Love, Elder Wilde, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment