Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Week 11 - November 2, 2015


Hola, everyone! 

Hope you all had a splendid week and enjoyed Halloween!  November is here already, man time flies doesn't it... 

Well, this was a good week !  I officially turned 19 and I was treated with a nice little (big) unexpected rainstorm!  I just want to say thank you for all the happy bday emails/packages, super nice of all you!  My parents bought me this anti -ageing oil .... As a joke, it was quite funny, but they sent me lots of other things so it was great!  Super grateful for all my family does for me!  Happy birthday to Grandpa and my mama!  I'm getting something arranged so hopefully I can get it out to you all soon! 
 
(Elder Wilde's mother is celebrating her birthday this week.)
(Elder Wilde's family, also, celebrated his grandpa's birthday.)

This week was especially fast because on Friday we were asked to stay inside because at 6 p.m. in our area it is mischief night which is a fancy word for saying people dress up a day early and spend the night committing crimes and what not.  If you have ever seen "the purge," it is like that, maybe not as much but to some degree.  Cops are literally on EVERY corner.  Anyways, so we stayed in that night as well as Halloween night as well.  Too much crazy stuff going on those nights where it was just better to stay inside haha! 

I'll share some highlights of the week! 

1. On Tuesday, we met with new investigators:  Three Catholic 50-year-olds. Anyways, their parents passed away and they were grieving and they all lost their jobs, so it was great to meet them and share a message that made them tonssss happier.  Anyways, midway through the message, Joe, stops me and says, "Elder Wilde, when I look at you I see Jesus Christ.  When you speak, I hear Jesus Christ speaking to me."  I was super caught off guard and assured him that I was nothing like even close to Jesus and would ever be, but he was feeling the spirit and knew our message was true.  Anyways, I think like Frrrriday ya Friday morning I was reading my patriartical blessing - so I was reading it in the morning and it said, "I bless you with an open and modest heart, that you will see as the Savior would and be able to SPEAK as he would," and so yes, my Asian eyes opened up super wide and I was like wow.......... Wait...... That's amazing, that literally just happened. Anyways, pretty cool experience 

2. On Sunday, a man asked us to come over and give him a priesthood blessing.  He was having muscle spasms all week and was in tonssssss of pain, so of course we came over.  We gave him a blessing and immediately the next morning he calls us and says, "All the pain that I had is gone, I feel fantastic."  It reminds me of the baby that I blessed about a month ago and how she was healed... Just pretty amazing stuff, I know it's not US healing it's HIM healing, pretty neat. 

3. Thursday, we went to the Priesthood Restoration site in Susquehanna which is WAYYY North Philly.  Now, South Philly is "phil"thy and has no color or anything.  Susquehanna was absolutely BEAUTIFUL, every color you can think of, beautiful trees, amazing scenery just amazing, then I got back to South Philly that night and was just like.... Ugh smh... But anyways, basically what happened up there was where Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon and where the first baptism of this dispensation took place in the river. Also, Joseph Smith was given the priesthood (authority to act in God's name to perform ordinances - such as baptism, etc.) by Peter, James and John, and John the Baptist.  Anyways, I won't go too much into detail, but it was such an amazing experience.  It was beyond what peaceful words could even describe. You just had the most incredible feeling, and they played a video in the little church that was there.  I just got the goosebumps everywhere.  It was amazing, I'll attach some pictures. 

 






4. Last night we had dinner with this family named the Baldwins.  Every first Sunday of the month, our church fasts where we don't eat or drink for 24 hours, so finally dinner came around with the Baldwins and we just pigged out. Sooooooo good OMG, yes, it was so good.   Anyways, but just like looking at this couple they were like 26ish - 28ish, just super amazing couple, both good looking, funny, smart, obedient, clean everything.  Both Elder Andrus and I were like... LIFE GOALS right there... Our church here in South Philly is so sweet.  It's all young successful awesome return missionaries with their good looking wives.  It's like, "Plz give me that hahaha."  Anyways, they were just super awesome and yeah I felt like I had to point that out.  They actually just moved here from San Francisco three months ago, so about the same time as me.   So it's cool to kind of talk about SF with them and yeah just some good stuff. 

5. In church every first Sunday of the month is also the week where we go up and bear our testimony, and so one of our investigators who is getting baptized on the 15th was sitting with me, but I just felt I should go up and say something.  I think this applies to everyone - I talked about CHARITY.  Charity is the pure love of Christ - just want to help and do good to others.  We never know what others are feeling and what they need.  Sometimes we need to get to know someone, listen to their concerns, try and understand them - THEN will we finally be able to help.  I just know that charity and helping others that need a little boost can be a make or break in other's lives.  You may not think it, but now days many people put on a "fake smile" and go about the days, so just try and reach out to someone who you may feel needs a little support. 

Last week I missed the scripture and weekly quote so you're all just SOOOO lucky to get two this week: Grinning face with smiling eyes

Scripture quotes 

"... Behold, I speak with boldness, having authority from God: and I fear not what man can do: for perfect love casteth out all fear." - Moroni 8:16

"See that all these things are done in wisdom and order:  for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength.  And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize:  therefore all things must be done in order." - Mosiah 4:27

Weekly quotes 

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." - Thomas Jefferson 

"Strength doesn't come from what you can do.  It comes from overcoming the things you thought you couldn't." 

I just want to add on to that last quote.  Today I was reading about WHY we all go through trials, what the purpose of trials are, and I'll copy and paste some key points in case you're going through a hard time. 

"Tribulation provides people with opportunities for spiritual growth and character development.  Such needed attributes as humility, faith, empathy, patience, courage, gratitude, and a repentant heart come to individuals in the refiner’s fire of tribulation and persecution.

As to the individual trials and problems that befall any of us, all we need say is that in the wisdom of Him who knows all things, and who does all things well, all of us are given the particular and specific tests that we need in our personal situations."

There was a lot more, but I guess what I really like out of that is that each one of us are given trials for a reason.   We can let that trial beat us or we can overcome that trial with help from the man upstairs and grow stronger... 

I was reading a talk given by an apostle and it's really short I'll just copy and paste parts I like: 

"Without safety ropes, harnesses, or climbing gear of any kind, two brothers--Jimmy, age 14, and John, age 19 (though those aren’t their real names)--attempted to scale a sheer canyon wall in Snow Canyon State Park in my native southern Utah.  Near the top of their laborious climb, they discovered that a protruding ledge denied them their final few feet of ascent. They could not get over it, but neither could they now retreat from it. They were stranded. After careful maneuvering, John found enough footing to boost his younger brother to safety on top of the ledge. But there was no way to lift himself.  The more he strained to find finger or foot leverage, the more his muscles began to cramp.  Panic started to sweep over him, and he began to fear for his life.

"Unable to hold on much longer, John decided his only option was to try to jump vertically in an effort to grab the top of the overhanging ledge.  If successful, he might, by his considerable arm strength, pull himself to safety.  In his own words, he said: 'Prior to my jump, I told Jimmy to go search for a tree branch strong enough to extend down to me, although I knew there was nothing of the kind on this rocky summit. It was only a desperate ruse.  If my jump failed, the least I could do was make certain my little brother did not see me falling to my death.  Giving him enough time to be out of sight, I said my last prayer--that I wanted my family to know I loved them and that Jimmy could make it home safely on his own--then I leapt. There was enough adrenaline in my spring that the jump extended my arms above the ledge almost to my elbows. But as I slapped my hands down on the surface, I felt nothing but loose sand on flat stone. I can still remember the gritty sensation of hanging there with nothing to hold on to--no lip, no ridge, nothing to grab or grasp. I felt my fingers begin to recede slowly over the sandy surface. I knew my life was over.  But then suddenly, like a lightning strike in a summer storm, two hands shot out from somewhere above the edge of the cliff, grabbing my wrists with a strength and determination that belied their size. My faithful little brother had not gone looking for any fictitious tree branch. Guessing exactly what I was planning to do, he had never moved an inch.  He had simply waited--silently, almost breathlessly--knowing full well I would be foolish enough to try to make that jump. When I did, he grabbed me, held me, and refused to let me fall. Those strong brotherly arms saved my life that day as I dangled helplessly above what would surely have been certain death.”

He then says some other stuff, but I guess we can all ask ourselves these questions that he points out. 

"What a plight!  The entire human race in free fall--every man, woman, and child in it physically tumbling toward permanent death, spiritually plunging toward eternal anguish.  Is that what life was meant to be?  Is this the grand finale of the human experience?  Are we all just hanging in a  cold canyon somewhere in an indifferent universe, each of us searching for a toehold, each of us seeking for something to grip--with nothing but the feeling of sand sliding under our fingers, nothing to save us, nothing to hold on to, much less anything to hold on to us?  Is our only purpose in life an empty existential exercise--simply to leap as high as we can, hang on for our prescribed three score years and ten, then fail and fall, and keep falling forever?"

Anyways, love you all and hope you have a splendid week!  God bless and take care! 

Love,

Elder Parker Wilde 

No comments:

Post a Comment