Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Week 13 - November 16, 2015

Hello!  Hope you all enjoyed your week!

Well, I just hit three months, just like that!  Blink of an eye lol.  Transfer calls are on Friday... Pretty nerve wracking!  Hopefully Elder Andrus and I stay one more transfer together, but he could be gone.  Pray for us haha!

This week was great!  We had a few really amazing things happen that I
am going to tell y'all about - but I gotta fill you in on some quotes
:-)

Scripture quote:"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore
I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his
strength I can do all things" - Alma 26:12

I really like this and it applies to us all.  Everything that we have
in life is because of our Heavenly Father.  He grants us life, he
grants us happiness - all things.  We would be nothing without him.  We
should not say (I am guilty of this), "I did it by myself, I
accomplished this on my own, I earned this by myself, etc." - boast.
We have been helped every step of the way, so give Him the credit, not
yourself.

Weekly quote:We live to die and die to live again.
#resurrection

Anyways, I actually read some interesting things in the Book of Mormon
this week - A prophet in the beginning of the book 600 years before
Christ came, prophesied that a man would sail here to the promise
lands (Americas) and would discover it due to him being led by the
Spirit of God:  "And I looked and beheld a man among the Gentiles, who
was separated from the seed of my brethren by the many waters; and I
beheld the Spirit of God, that it came down and wrought upon the man;
and he went forth upon the many waters, even unto the seed of my
brethren, who were in the promised land."  Obviously, he prophesied
about Christopher Columbus and so then I went and tried to find
personal accounts of Columbus and how he sailed to the Americas and
found this -- “‘Our Lord,’ said Columbus, ‘unlocked my mind, sent me
upon the sea, and gave me fire for the deed.  Those who heard of my
enterprise called it foolish, mocked me, and laughed.  But who can
doubt but that the Holy Ghost inspired me?"

Anyways, I found it interesting how a prophet in the Book of Mormon
prophesied about Columbus like 1800 years before it happened.
Then I was also reading how the Lord told Joseph Smith that the Civil
War would happen in 40 years.  Joseph Smith noted it in the D
octrine
and Covenants (Book of Revelations) and it just so happened 40 years
later - the Civil War happened.... Say what?!  Pretty cool!


Next last cool thing.  I was reading how the Lord told Joseph Smith in the
Doctrine and Covenants how he INSPIRED the founding fathers to write
the Declaration of Independence and inspired them to make sure this
land was a land of religious freedom -- isn't it interesting how the
dollar bill says "IN GOD WE TRUST"?  Go re-read the constitution.

Okay, well that was just some of the interesting things about my
studies this week.

Here are my experiences

1. Last night, Kevin was baptized.  Elder Andrus baptized him, and I
will be confirming him a member of The Church of Jesus Christ this
upcoming Sunday.  More specifics about the baptism.  I never have felt
so much peace and happiness in my life and felt the Spirit so much as
I watched him be baptized.  It was single handedly one of the greatest
experiences I have been a part of.  As he was getting changed, he was
just smiling and smiling, and I asked him, "Kevin, how do you feel?"  He
said to me, "Well, I can't stop smiling, that's for dang sure, but I've
never felt so clean in my life."  Man, I thought I was gonna burst into
tears, so hard to keep it together!  Elder Andrus and I celebrated by
baking a cake Smiling face with open mouth and cold sweat



2. I think on Thursday we were invited over to a member's home.  He is
from Vietnam and his son just left on a mission, so I think he was
missing him a lot and just invited us over to hear about the
missionary life.  He spoke little English so it was an odd dinner
trying to communicate back and forth.  He fed us Pho, which is one of
my favorite dishes.  I loved it, but then he whips out this
"Cambodian/Vietnamese chocolate milk" good glory... It was SOOO bad, I
wanted to puke, but we had to drink it.  Then after we did, he went and
got MORE for us... Elder Andrus and I couldn't stop laughing.  Anyways,
as the dinner went on, I asked him about the war in Vietnam and if he
was a part of it.  He said that he fought for South Vietnam for four
years and then when North Vietnam took over, they threw him in a
concentration camp for five years........ He was getting very
emotional so I quickly tried to change the topic and asked him how he
met his wife, but anyways.... Just an amazing experience to hear about
him... He doesn't have too much money, but he was able to put his four
children through BYU Provo and UPenn.  They were converted when they
moved here to America in 1995, and he expressed how he found a peace of
mind through the Gospel of Jesus Christ that the missionaries explained to him.

3. Ughhhh unfortunate event happened to us--funny to hear about but
sucked to happen... We were going to a member's home for dinner who
lives in the Hood - honestly, so use to this area that I can't even
consider it Hood anymore lol, but we got to his house and all of a
sudden, Elder Andrus looks at me and just starts freaking out when they
weren't looking, BED BUGS all over his leg!!  So then I check mine and
my sweater has these friggin critters everywhere!  CODE RED!!  Lol We
went home and just threw EVERYYYTHING in the heater, burn those
buggers haha.

4. We got Cheesecake Factory before interviews with President Eyes so good.

5. I actually just now got back from the city.  We went to LOVE park,
Redding terminal, Rocky steps, the temple for our church being built.
We got some Amish milkshakes,  donuts and pretzels... SO good.  Elder
Andrus and I were both like:  "This would have been such a great date
if we had babes" lol  It was a sweet day though so far!




 






Anyways, it was a splendid week!  People out here think us missionaries
are like their own personal therapists/stores..  We had some people
call us and were asking if we had some T.V. Antennas....... What?  I'm
a missionary not Best Buy!  Then this one family had a plumbing issue
and they were calling us telling us to do something about it, and so
we were trying to find someone all week and finally we did.  The man's
son is less active in the church, so we went to go contact him and his
father said he was a plumber.  So we sent him over there.  Little did
we know before he went he got straight BLASTED drunk and puked
everywhere in the house and just couldn't walk...  They were not so
happy with us - oops.  We tried!

LOVE YOU ALL!  God bless.


Elder Wilde


No comments:

Post a Comment