Saturday, February 6, 2016

Week 25 - February 6, 2016


Hey, everyone, today is my P-day. 

I'm on my way to the Washington DC Temple.




Anyways, transfer calls are next Sunday.  Part of me wants to
leave, experience other places of the mission, but part of me wants to
stay - so much more work to be done here in South Philly.  Can't
believe I've already spent six months here after this next week is
over.  Why does Valentine's Day have to be on transfer call day?!  Haha.
I guess I'll have to go to one of the universities and find a
valentine for the day ;) lol NOT.
Anyways, I've been doing this fourteen day "Love One Another" challenge
the church put out and that will be my weekly e-mail this week.  

Day One:  Show patience with someone

Today I showed patience with Brother Gibson, Elder Lake, and the lady
we were about to have a lesson with.  We were going to an appointment
and we got there a little late, and Brother Gibson still wasn't there.
Elder Lake knocked on the door three times, but she didn't answer.  She
was on the cell phone talking to someone.  Elder Lake said that we
should leave and that Brother Gibson wasn't even coming.  I was patient,
though, with the situation and said, "Just wait.  She will answer and he
will come."  A few minutes passed and I knocked on the door this time,
and she finally came to the door and answered and Brother Gibson
turned the corner at the same time as well.  Patience.  Don't give up
too easily.

"And now my beloved brethren, I would exhort you to have patience, and
that ye bear with all manner of afflictions; that ye do not revile
against (others)... lest ye become sinners like unto them." - Alma
34:40

Day Two:  Overlook someone's shortcomings

This morning our appointments all fell through, so I asked Elder Lake
what he thought we should do.  He couldn't think of anything for like 30
minutes, and he was getting very frustrated because I wouldn't tell him
what we should do.  He came to the conclusion that he wanted to
practice his street contacting role playing, so I asked Elder
Uriostegui to come upstairs and help us be the contact.  As I very well
could have gotten extremely upset at how the role playing was going,
instead of rebuking, tearing him down, I as nicely as I could, helped
him on things that he could do better and tried to understand him and
his personality more and how it may be hard for him to do this.  After
an hour or so, I saw much improvement.  I saw his potential, not his
weaknesses, and in turn at the end he was better.  I know that because I
overlooked his shortcomings, he felt more loved, involved and
encouraged.  I too learned for myself that I am a lot more happy when I
help someone the right way rather than tearing them down trying to
build them back up.
 
"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness.  I give
unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient
for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble
themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak
things become strong unto them." - Ether 12:27

Day three:  Look beyond looks

Well, this one was interesting.  There was an Asian guy on the Temple
campus and he was wearing some really goth clothes.  He had studded
shoes, ripped black pants, dyed hair, popped collar, just a very
interesting getup - for an Asian, too, I must say.  Regardless, I tried my
best to view him as Christ would and knew that it was my calling to
share the gospel with everyone, so I went up and talked to him, spoke
some Chinese, he was amazed.  Anyways, he immediately told us that he
was interested in God but didn't know much about him.  We did some
basic teaching as we walked him to class.  He was extremely into it and
really wanted to meet with us again!  It was a great experience.  We all
tend to judge someone based on their appearance, but if we do our best
to view others as Christ would or their own parents for that matter, we
will be able to really serve them to the best of our ability.
 
"But wo unto the rich, who are rich as to the things of the world.  For
because they are rich they despise the poor, and they persecute the
meek, and their hearts are upon their treasures; wherefore, their
treasure is their god.  And behold, their treasure shall perish with
them also.  And the hand of providence hath smiled upon you most
pleasingly, that you have obtained many riches; and because some of
you have obtained more abundantly than that of your brethren, ye are
lifted up in the pride of your hearts, and wear stiff necks and high
heads because of the costliness of your apparel, and persecute your
brethren because ye suppose that ye are better than they." - Jacob
2:13

Day 4:  Resist the impulse to categorize others

Hmmm, okay so today on our way to zone training, we were on the train
and there were three girls that were students at UPENN across from us.
Anyways all three of them kind of looked at us and then turned around
and started asking each other who and what we were, etc.  I overheard
them and immediately told Elder Lake, "Those girls are talking about
you!  Go talk to them with me!"  Elder Lake was like .... "Uhhhh no," but
I urged him to follow, so he did after a few attempts.  You could hear
them whisper to each other as we got up, "They are coming!"  Haha, so we
walked right up to them started talking to them, introduced who we were
and what did, and then Elder Lake (I think he was almost about to go
into shock), but he was able to get a few words off, proud of him.
Anyways, we were able to share a short message about families and
Christ which they loved, got all their numbers, gave them pass-along
cards, and invited them to church.  If we were to categorize them as the
"prideful, smart, rich, white girls" then we probably wouldn't have
said anything to them, but we didn't, and we were able to have a great
conversation!
 
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, Judge not, that ye be not judged.  For
with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged." - 3 Nephi 14:1-2

Day 5:  See a situation through another person's eyes

Sister Carmandi, a 60-year-old lady called me as I was knocking on
someone's door and so I picked up, and she just went on and on talking.  She
could talk for DAYS.  Anyways she started to tell me how she was so
sorry that she couldn't have us over for dinner (we didn't even know
about dinner?) because her husband's brother is in the hospital.  As I
remember today's commitment, I instantly was reminded that I needed to
truly listen and have empathy and see her situation as if I were in
her shoes.  As I did that, I spoke with more love and compassion than
I had at the beginning, and I just began to notice how much more of a
loving conversation we had.  I learned that it's important to put
yourself in others' shoes and at that point, you will truly understand
and love others.
 
"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I
know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." - 1
Corinthians 13:12

That's it for this week,

Elder Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment