Monday, December 19, 2016

Week 70 - December 19, 2016

🌲 🎄 The week of all weeks! 🎉🎁🎀

Friends & Family! 

Hope you are all doing so well!  I cannot believe Christmas is right around the corner.  I'm very excited to talk to my family!  The weather here in Philly has been incredible.  We had a tiny bit of snow the other night, but other than that, we are sitting pretty!

We had another crazy week. 
On Monday, we hosted all of the departing missionaries (33) at the Mission President's home and made a slideshow for them with some of their most impactful missionary moments. It was so inspiring listening to all of these incredible missionaries bearing their testimonies and how their mission has shaped them into a more Christlike person. I felt so inadequate.  There were so many mission legends in that room haha! I will miss many of them.  It was interesting to see how many of them were either my leaders, I led them, I served with them, etc.  We had to wake up at the brink of dawn to get them off on their planes the next morning.  Everything worked out just great.  So bittersweet!

A few hours later, we returned back to the airport to pick up a brand new group (25) of missionaries.  Wow, it was so weird being inside of the airport watching all of these brand new missionaries come out of the sliding doors.  Just a bunch of young bucks.  They have no idea what they are getting themselves into 😁😁😁 just kidding.  They are a solid group.
It was funny.  They had their eyes glued on us.  As they were waiting for their bags, we went and talked to people in the airport about the Christmas initiative.  It was hilarious watching their reactions. 

We spent the day with them.  We made a great new incoming Goldens' video which took what felt like an eternity, but by the end it was pretty good, so that was exciting.  We had dinner with the Goldens (new missionaries). 

That night, we hosted 8 of the English Goldens at our apartment.  It was so fascinating to me listening to all of these young men's stories and answering their questions that they had. Whatever we said, they took as missionary doctrine.  Hopefully it helps them get off on the right foot!  I seriously was in their shoes yesterday!  Great group of Elders and Sisters though. 

The next day, we were back at it and presented some trainings to the Goldens and trainers and made a slideshow for the new missionaries, their area, and their new companions.  It was incredible.  All of the trainers were some of the finest Elders and Sisters we have. Seriously phenomenal!  They are all going to do great.

Friday we went up to the previous assistants district meeting up in Doylestown, Pa.--super rich area.  We have a young single adult investigator up there.  We taught him and it must have been one of the best lessons I've been in.  The Spirit was so strong.  I invited him to be baptized.  He said "yes" and committed to Jan 29.  Seriously such an incredible opportunity we had! 

Most of the week was taking care of administration stuff.  I'm hoping to get more teaching and finding time after next week.  This upcoming week, we get to go to three zone conferences for Christmas.  We are super pumped.  It's going to be great.  We are presenting a few trainings and doing all sorts of fun new activities.  I just love getting to see all of the Elders and Sisters, as well.  There is nothing like being around Elders and Sisters. It will be a great week.  After the meetings, we get to double in to areas and we are going to Bayview for one of them.  I'm excited to go back! 
Last night we had a Christmas concert called, "The Messiah Sing Along."  It was fantastic! 






This week in my studies I came across two things that I thought were fascinating.  In 2 Nephi Chapter 2 (a chapter I have read several times), I read about how we as individuals are things to ACT and not to be ACTED UPON.  During this Christmas season, I hope that we don't let something that someone else may or may not have done "affect" our spirits and wind us down.  We have the ability to choose how we react to circumstances, the circumstances don't have the ability to make us feel a certain way.  Choose to be Christlike! 

Lastly, I thought about how Adam and Eve were in a state of innocence/ignorance in the Garden of Eden.  I asked myself, "Is ignorance/innocence bliss?" (This actually was an essay question I wrote about in high school)  My new answer would be, "No - we cannot have happiness and joy or an uplifted spirit without having 'laws.'  Without laws, there would be no sin, without sin there would be no righteousness, without righteousness there would be no happiness.  Jesus Christ is so vitally important because he gave us the law and because of that we are able to experience peace and happiness in this life if we live the law." 

This Christmas season, I thank my Savior, Jesus Christ.  I thank him for the peace and happiness I receive as I am representing him.  The gospel is the law.  I hope that we may all strive to do our best to live it, learn it, & share it.


Thank you for all you do.  God bless you! 

Love,
Elder Wilde

P.s. If you haven't received an Christmas card, let me know today! :)

721 Paxon Hollow Rd., Suite B,
Broomall, PA, 19008 

No comments:

Post a Comment