Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Week 44 - June 20, 2016


 Family,

The poor Warriors.......my countenance dropped when I heard the
news.... Couldn't believe it... Didn't sleep a minute last night!
 
On another note, it was great to see Connor get home from his mission
and see so many pictures.  Love him!


Happy birthday and Father's Day to the best man out there, love my pops.


Well, looks like I'll be staying here in Bayview, Maryland, for ANOTHER
transfer.  Seven more weeks & I'll be a week away from hitting my year mark
after this transfer.  Slow down!
Congratulations again to everyone that graduated, seems like just yesterday lol

Well, this week was great.
We have three people progressing really well:  Amy (19), Patty (32),
Crystal (35) and PJ (19).  Pray for them.  This next transfer should be
wonderful.
 

Ummm we taught a lot this week, had a lot of good lessons.  I think
I'll just share some things I studied this week.  I was on exchanges
with Elder Drake (my Zone Leader) and he said that he has been
studying the Atonement for 10 minutes everyday, so I decided to do it as
well.
 

I read the account in Matthew 26 about the Savior in the Garden of
Gethsemane.  In the garden when he prayed he said, "O my Father, if it
be possible, let this cup pass from me:  nevertheless not as I will,
but as thou wilt."  This scripture is beautiful because it shows how
humble and obedient Jesus Christ is to his Father.  He asks if there is
ANY other way because he knew how painful, how hard what he was about
to do would be, but in all humility and obedience he tells his father
that he will do the Father's will and not His own.  He goes on to be
betrayed by Judas and in the midst of this, Peter cuts off one of the
High Priest's servant's ear.  Jesus tells Peter to put the sword
away and says something great.  He says, "Thinkest thou that I cannot now
pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve
legions of angels?"  Jesus could have called down thousands of angels
from heaven and absolutely destroyed everybody in his path.  He could
have just jumped off the cross and healed himself back to normal.  He
didn't though.  He put himself under or below everything and everyone
so that he could raise all of us up.  He could heal us, as Alma
(prophet in the Book of Mormon) says:  "And he shall go forth,
suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and
this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon
him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death
which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities,
that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that
he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according
to their infirmities."




What does succor mean?  To give aid or relief to.  Why can Christ do
that?  He can do so because he went through every pain, affliction,
temptation, sadness, sorrow, trial you and I will ever go through.
Why though!?  Why would he do this for all of us?  Alma says:  "He loveth
our souls as well as he loveth our children;"  Christ goes on to say:
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for
his friends."  The clear answer is because Christ and his father love
us - they love us so much to do this for us, why?  Why did this need to
be done?  In the book of Romans it says:  "For all have sinned, and come
short of the glory of God;" and the scripture says:  "Wherefore, if ye
have sought to do wickedly in the days of your probation (life on
earth), then ye are found unclean before the judgment-seat of God; and
no unclean thing can dwell with God; wherefore, ye must be cast off
forever."  So - we must cleansed from sin to live with God.  The
Atonement of Jesus Christ was done for EVERYONE and is the ULTIMATE
gift for all of mankind because it allows us to live with God, Jesus
Christ, and our families forever:  "Wherefore, may God raise you from
death by the power of the resurrection, and also from everlasting
death by the power of the Atonement, that ye may be received into the
eternal kingdom of God."

I read a poem about the Atonement that I'll share.
 
Does the journey seem long,
        The path rugged and steep?
        Are there briars and thorns on the way?
        Do sharp stones cut your feet
        As you struggle to rise
        To the heights thru the heat of the day?
      Is your heart faint and sad,
        Your soul weary within,
        As you toil ’neath your burden of care?
        Does the load heavy seem
       You are forced now to lift?
        Is there no one your burden to share?
      Let your heart be not faint
        Now the journey’s begun;
        There is One who still beckons to you.
        So look upward in joy
        And take hold of his hand;
        He will lead you to heights that are new--
      A land holy and pure,
        Where all trouble doth end,
        And your life shall be free from all sin,
        Where no tears shall be shed,
        For no sorrows remain.
        Take his hand and with him enter in.

"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I beseech of you in words of soberness
that ye would repent, and come with full purpose of heart, and cleave
unto God as he cleaveth unto you.  And while his arm of mercy is
extended towards you in the light of the day, harden not your
hearts............ Behold, he sendeth an invitation unto all men, for
the arms of mercy are extended towards them, and he saith:  Repent, and
I will receive you."

I'm grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ and I know it works.
Alma the Younger (the vilest of sinners) said:  "And now,
behold...I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by
the memory of my sins no more.  And oh, what joy, and what marvelous
light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as
was my pain!"




 
The Atonement works, use it, rely on it, be grateful for it.

Love you all,
Elder Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment